The Best Sustainable Razors in 2019
Ladies, gentlemen, how often do you shave?
We’re not the kind of people who’ll judge you for partaking in the social norm of shaving… but using disposable razors? Well, we can’t let that slide.
Billions are sent to landfill each year. Yes, the blades can usually be recycled even if the plastic handle can’t… but honestly, how many of us will actually break down a disposable razor to ensure it’s recycled properly?
Not many, is the answer.
But don’t stress, there’s 8 of the best eco friendly razors you can try instead listed right here! And obviously, they are all available in the UK.
Bonus treat: most of these eco razors will give you a close shave that disposable razors can only dream of.
Bambaw Bamboo Safety Razor, A Cheap Bamboo Alternative to Disposable Razors
The first of our bamboo double edge safety razors. Quit being bamboozled by plastic razors and try a Bambaw razor. This sustainable razor has a lightweight bamboo handle, stainless-steel components and fits double edge blades.
Once this beauty has a spot in your bathroom cabinet, you’re set for life! Just replace the blades (recycling the old ones, of course) and get shaving.
* Durable Bamboo handle and stainless steel components
* Cheaper than chrome/stainless steel safety razors
* Awesome tips in the manual
* Intimidating to begin with!
* Takes a while to shave large, curvy areas.
* Blade replacement could be easier
Bulldog Bamboo Razor, The Original Replaceable Blade Cartridge Razor
Another bamboo beauty to boggle at. But it’s not just for a pretty face. This razor uses changeable blade cartridges with 5 tempered steel blades and aloe lubrication strip.
It feels just like your disposable razor and can pivot for curvy areas, making it suitable for shaving legs, armpits and faces alike (but change the cartridge to keep it hygienic!).
* Built like the disposable razors you’re used to.
* Less likely to cut yourself.
* Packaging made entirely from recycled materials.
* Blade quality not as good as safety razor
* Razor performance about equal to a standard, disposable razor.
* Blade cartridges create waste
Preserve Shave 5 Razor, Recycled Plastic Eco Friendly Shaving
Yes, it’s plastic… but don’t judge yet!
It’s the only razor handle made entirely from a recycled material. It might not last as long, but it’s not made from brand new materials (like bamboo and stainless steel) either. This actually makes it one of the most eco friendly, recycled shaving tools for those on a tight budget.
A great cheap option.
* Made from recycled plastic
* Replaceable cartridges
* Standard razor design, like you’ve been using all your life.
* Hefty carbon footprint! (Made in USA & Mexico)
* Plastic packaging
* Overall feel is, well, cheap.
Feather Straight Razor, The Best Eco Friendly Razor for The Adventurous Shaving Pro
Woah, calm down there Sweeney Todd! This is not a razor for the light-hearted, the heavy-handed, or the over-confident, as we found out (ouch).
Within the silicone grip (which is easy to recycle and better than plastic) is a firm, stainless steel handle. The blade is incredibly sharp but easy to change.
If you’ve not used a straight blade before, start with a safety blade and work your way up.
* Sexiest razor we’ve ever seen
* Replaceable blades in 3 types (beginner, intermediate, advanced)
* Easy to change the blades
* Provides the best shave when you know how to wield it.
* You need to be a pro to use it
* Silicone grip isn’t biodegradable (but it’s a whole lot better than plastic).
Feather Stainless Steel Safety Razor, A Top-of-The-Range Vintage Double Edge Safety Razor
Another, more approachable, blade from Feather. If you have the money, we highly recommend investing in this sustainable razor. The classic design is extremely long lasting, durable and comfortable to hold.
It will take a little while to learn how to use it, but once you do you’re in for superbly close shaves for the rest of your life!
* 100% stainless steel
* Amazing quality and durability
* It could outlast a Galapagos Giant Tortoise
* Close shave leaves you feeling like a million bucks
* High precision captures every hair
* Costs an arm and a leg
* You’re likely to cut yourself for those first few shaves
Merkur 34C Safety Razor, Best Safety Razor for Beginners
Our top choice for beginners is definitely the Merkur 34C heavy duty classic double edge safety razor. It’s a little expensive but it’s not going to drain your wallet, plus it’s super easy to get to grips with.
If you’re starting your safety razor shaving journey at the same time as your sustainable shaving journey, this bestseller is the one for you.
* Basic but high-quality razor
* Ideal for beginners
* Easy to get to grips with
* Not too expensive
* Sleek design
* Handle is quite short, even for average-small sized hands
* Not the best at shaving difficult areas
Merkur Long Handle Safety Razor, The Best Safety Razor for Women… and Big Hands!
Men, women, and everyone in-between are going to love this. The lengthy handle (4 inches) makes shaving over curves and awkward areas easy, while it’s also the best option for those with larger than average hands.
Despite the easy maneuverability, you still get the close shave you’d expect from a safety razor.
* Long handle: better grip for big hands
* Easy to control when shaving legs and hard-to-reach places
* Lightweight design
* Comfortable to hold
* Textured handle is non-slip
* Takes a while to get used to
* Struggles to cut through the thickest, wiry hairs
Edwin Jagger Safety Razor, Featuring a Chrome Plated Safety Razor Handle Made In The UK
A decent price for a safety razor, made in the UK (Sheffield to be exact), and a blade angle that’s just right for sensitive skin. So yes, you can have your eco-cake and eat it.
The Edwin Jagger is compatible with all standard safety razor blades and includes all the instructions you need to shave accurately.
* Made close to home in the UK
* Gentle enough for sensitive skin
* Well-balanced weight makes it easy for beginners to handle
* The handle can be a little slippery when wet
* Not the best for stubborn beard stubble
One last important note before you pick the eco razor you’ll spend a lifetime with.
Many of these razor sets are sold without blades, for legal and safety reasons. Just make sure you order your blades at the same time so you can combine shipping and save excess packaging!